Monday, January 26, 2009

Rebirths and Fresh starts!

As many of you know already, I view myself as a teacher first and everything else - academic, researcher, professor - second. There are many reasons why I love teaching but as I get ready for the first class of the Spring semester, here is one. I get to start with a completely fresh slate, with a new class and a new subject. Everything I have done before is irrelevant and any mistakes or accomplishments from the past are erased. That kind of new beginning is tough to find in any other profession. The closest you can get to it is when you get a new job at a company where you know no one.... But you cannot keep doing that every six months... as I get to...

My blogs over the next few months will reflect what I am talking about in my corporate finance and valuation classes. Obviously, I will not bore you with the details, but if you are so inclined, you should be able to peek in on the class, since the lectures are webcast. So, I am off to class! Even after 25 years of doing this, I am excited and I hope the excitement rubs off on those in the class.

4 comments:

not-so-erudite said...

Will the webcasts for all of your Valuation classes be password protected? That would be very disappointing indeed!

Aswath Damodaran said...

I am working on this. They switched to a new recording system called Echo 360 that is a much better in terms of video and audio but requires video protection. There are, however, two bright spots. The first is that the system will create downloadable video podcasts (that should be available soon). The other is that I am trying to get the password protection relaxed. Stay tuned!

Mahesh Sethuraman said...

Thanks for the Indian edition(finally) of "Damodaran on Valuation".

Richard Guo said...

You are good at giving acurate analogies to your students. If I am allowed to give you one, I would like to compare you with Confucious. Both of you are eager to not only explore the truths but also impreach them.